Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Airport Pod Hotels

I recently got excited about an article in Seattle Times about Pod Hotels coming to certain U.S. airports.  I've been reading about pod hotels around the world for a while, but never thought I would get to experience it here in the States.

For those of you unfamiliar with pod hotels, they are small little rooms that can be rented (usually) by the hour.  They usually have a sofa/daybed which are perfect for taking a nap in the middle of a long layover.  Sometime they provide a small work area where you can quietly work and/or a TV.  I have been waiting for something like this to come to the U.S..

I think these are perfect for a few reasons namely a place to rest and relax while you're stuck at an airport for a long layover.  You could either nap or just get away from the hustle of the airport.  Its also a great way to conduct business while on the road.  I don't know about you, but there have been times where I needed to jump on a conference call and talk about background noise, between the speaker announcements and general conversations, its nearly impossible to contribute to a conference call.

This is also perfect for families if they need to change their kids clothes or just let them nap without chaos all around.  The only thing I can think of that they would not be good for families is that pod hotels are, by design, very small so if you are traveling with a lot of kids, I don't know how much peace and quiet you'll get in a tiny room, but its worth a shot.

From my Googling, I found pod hotels at the following airports:

  • Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport - Concourse B @ Gate B15
  • Philadelphia International Airport - Terminal A-B Link
  • Dallas-Ft. Worth Terminal D **Open at end of 2012
I personally can't wait to try out one of these pod hotels.  Have you ever or would you ever use an airport pod hotel?

- Cindy







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Carry-On Style!