Monday, February 6, 2012

Surviving a Long Flight

This spring, I will be going Europe for about a month.  It will be a half business/half vacation trip.  I don't want to think about packing yet, but I've started to think about being comfortable on a long flight.  Flying from East Coast to West Coast to East Coast a LOT has given me time to refine what makes me comfortable on a long flight.


Layers, Layers, Layers. To me dressing comfortably is the most important thing.  I'm not one to wear sweats or yoga pants, so I will often wear leggings/tights, dress, cardigan, and a scarf (think cashmere).  If I'm going straight to my hotel I might wear a tunic instead of a dress.  I'll wear whatever shoes look good with the outfit, because I always take them off and put on chenille socks for warmth and comfort.  As with all long flights DVT is a risk, so sometimes I will wear compression socks under my leggings.



Fun Sleep Mask
Overnight flight? Think SLEEP!  I am lucky, I am one of those annoying persons who can sleep just about anywhere.  Even though I can sleep anywhere doesn't mean I don't want to be comfortable, so I always carry a sleep mask and ear plugs in my carryon bag.  If I know I'm going on an overnight flight, I will bring an easily-packable travel blanket.  It took me a while to find the perfect blanket and I actually found it at a sporting goods store.  Travel pillows....I don't carry one because I've never been able to use it comfortably, but I know people who SWEAR by them, so try it out, see if its good for you.  

Always in my carry on

Beauty. There is nothing like an airplane to dry out your skin!  So, I recommend taking along a few must have beauty essentials.  First on my list is a good moisturizer.  If I'm going to be on a long flight I will actually wash off all my makeup (in the airplane lavatory), then slather on my nighttime moisturizer, put on a hydrating lip balm, then go to sleep.  When I wake up, I will use (in the lavatory) a hydrating mist (like Evian Brumisateur or my normal skincare toner), apply my daytime moisturizer, Colgate Wisp Mini Tooth Brushes (I carry them with me all the time and love them!), quickly reapply my makeup and then deplane. 

Entertainment. You're probably not going to go to sleep right upon takeoff , so make sure you have enough to read, do a crossword puzzle, watch a video, or listen to music.  Also make sure you have headphones and enough batteries/battery life to get you though. I like to crochet, and there is no better place to work on a project than at 30, 000 ft.  If you're traveling with kids, there is no such thing as bringing too many activities.

Snacks, snacks, snacks. You want to stay hydrated on a plane, so buy a bottle of water at the airport.  Also if you have a favorite snack, like nuts, granola bars, trail mix, beef jerkey (good protein) bring double what you think you might need.  In my experience with airplane maintenance and weather delays, a traveler cannot have too many snacks in their carry on.


- Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Carry-On Style!