Thursday, June 28, 2012

Dining While Traveling


A little while ago I read a CNN article about women business travelers not liking solo dining.  The basic feeling is that most women don’t feel comfortable or may feel they look like an unwanted spinster if they dine alone.  To me that seems crazy because if a woman feels comfortable enough to travel on her own, then why would dining alone be outside her comfort zone?

Me?  I LOVE eating new foods, so eating alone doesn't bother me.  Don’t get me wrong I love dining with others, but the thought of dining alone doesn’t keep me in the hotel room while I’m traveling.

Eat Alone
One of the things I really like about traveling is eating locally.  Usually I’m gone for a week at a time, so I try to eat at a nice restaurant at least once per trip.  If I’m not sure where to eat, I will ask the concierge for a recommendation and a reservation for me.  Other times I will search through Yelp for a customer rated recommendation.  If I’m reading a really good book, I might take it with me, if not I will just sit on my own, enjoy my dinner, think over my day, and plot to take over the world.

On the days where I have more work to do in the evening, I will usually find a restaurant close to the hotel and eat there.  Depending on how much time I have, I might eat at the restaurant bar area (quicker service) or get a table. 

Facebook/Linked-In/Corporate Contacts
Is there a Facebook friend that lives or is from the same area you will be in?  Reach out to them to make an introduction for you.  I have made several new friends by having dinner with friends-of-friends from Facebook.  Usually they know THE best local place to go and you always have at least one mutual interest…. your mutual friend.

Use Linked-In and Corporate contacts to broaden your network circle and develop more business contacts.  Maybe you are going to Chicago and you’ve talked with some of the Chicago team on a conference call.  Reach out and see if they are interested in a dinner one night.  Strengthening relationships across teams is never a bad idea.

Invite for a Bite
I discovered InviteForABite.com through the CNN article I mentioned and of course signed up!  Invite for Bite is a website for women-only (this is not a dating site), who are traveling for business or pleasure and do not wish to dine alone.  You simply search for a dinner invite in the area you will be traveling and meet with other women travelers.  Don't be afraid to be adventurous and create a new invite for others to find. 

I posted an IFAB invite while I was in Dallas, Texas and someone actually responded!  It was great fun making a new friend.  We tried a new restaurant and realized we had a lot in common, work, family, kids, and of course meeting new people.  I look forward to more IFAB dinners and hope to see my new friend again.

There are many alternatives to dining while on the road and while its always safer in numbers, sometimes you need to strike out on your own to expand your comfort zone.

2 comments:

  1. This is something I've struggled with almost every time I travel. The feeling of being watched or somehow being perceived as pitiful because I'm alone has prompted me to take food back to my hotel room and snack rather than have a good meal.

    Thanks for the suggestions. I like the iFAB concept and look forward to trying it next time I'm in unfamiliar territory. In the meantime, I'm going to work on expanding my comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! Using IFAB was great! I can't wait to try it again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Carry-On Style!