Monday, July 16, 2012

Travel Tips For Women

Some tips I've picked up from others and some tips I've had to learn the hard way.

Packing

  •  Luggage tag - Clearly label your luggage with your name and address.  If possible use your work address or a PO Box instead of your home address.  You should also have a luggage tag that is unique so you can identify find your black suitcase among the other hundreds of black suitcases.  I have 3 tags on my bag, 1 that tells my airline status, 1 for my address, and this one for uniqueness 

  • Makeup Kit - I have duplicate makeup kits, one for home and one that never leaves my suitcase.  The contents of both makeup bags are identical and its one less thing I have to remember.

  • Power Cords - Like my makeup kit, I have doubles of all my power cords that never leave my suitcase.  I even have a second cord for my laptop that stays in my laptop bag.  If I'm working from home I simply take my laptop out and plug it into the cord I keep at home.


Hotel

  • Room Keys - Always get 2 keys for your hotel room.  There is no reason to announce to the entire lobby that you are staying alone.

  • Check-in - When you check in, ask that they just point to your room number instead of announcing it to everyone in listening distance.  Most hotels do this, but I learned this tip from the couple of hotels that didn't.  Nothing like the hotel clerk saying loudly in a crowded lobby "Here you go Ms. Smith, here is your one key, you are in room 316"

  • Rewards Club - Even if you don't travel weekly, you should still sign up for your favorite hotel rewards.  The points do add up, but its really the perks that I like, late check-out, guaranteed room reservations, snacks, etc...


Fun on the Road
  • Postcard - A tradition I started with my family when I travel is, no matter where I go, I always send a postcard home and it has to be postmarked from the place I'm visiting.  Usually the first I do when I get off the plane is hit the gift shop and buy a postcard then mail it from the hotel (they  can meter it).

  • Explore - Don't be one of those travelers that only sees the hotel lobby and client sites.  Go out and explore the town.  Even small towns have something to see.  Ask the hotel clerk/concierge what to see.  Most of my travel is in the US, so my personal tour guide is 1,000 Places to See Before You Die by Patricia Schultz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Carry-On Style!